Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Surgery

On Monday we had a huge scare. About 11:30 in the morning I started to feel some cramps on the right side of my stomach. I always get little cramps, so I wasn't too worried, but the pain started getting worse and worse. I called my doctor and they told me to come in. We went in about 3:30 that afternoon, and the pain was so bad!! The doctor came in and started pushing on my stomach, and trying to figure out what was wrong. That made the pain even worse. So, he told the nurses to draw my and then get an ultrasound to see if they could figure out what was happening. I know it's weird, but ever since I've had a blog I have to take a picture of everything. So, this is a picture of me crying from pain after they took my .


Then, they got an ultra sound of the baby, and the baby was doing just fine. It's now starting to look like a baby, and not some swamp-thing :) Here's the picture of the ultrasound.

After the ultrasound, I don't think that I've ever been in so much pain in my life! I was basically hysterical, and my body was covered in sweat. I started throwing up because the pain was so bad. They knew that they needed to get me into surgery right away. Well, when they cut into my stomach, they realized that my ovary on the right side had completely twisted and the supply was cut off and it was dying. They were able to fix it and now everything should be okay. I'm putting a really small picture that they took while they were inside my stomach. If you want to see it, you can click on it and make it bigger.


I'm not sure what all of the pictures mean, but the one on the bottom right is of my ovary. You can see that it's black and gray - almost completely gone. But, thank goodness they were able to save it, and I'm doing okay now. I feel really tender where they cut into my stomach, and it really hurts to stand up and sit down. I should be much better in the next couple of days. Here is a really bad picture of me, still feeling really groggy, after the surgery was over.

Everything is okay with the baby too. We are so blessed that everything ended up turning out alright. Hopefully pregnancy will be smoother sailing after this.

11 comments:

Criscell said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you're okay! My friend here in AZ just had the exact same thing happen to her!

Kiersten said...

Janelle--that's really scary. I'm glad you're okay. I've never heard of that happening before. For your sake as well as all of ours, I hope we never see a picture of your ovary again :)

I'm really glad you're okay.

Ryan and Melissa said...

Oh Janelle, you poor girl! You've really had a rough go of it. I am glad things are better now and hopefully they continue to get better. Take care of yourself...no more scares!

samiandcase said...

im glad everything is ok with you and the baby!

ps. i love the ultrasound pics, can't get enough of those! the baby looks cute already!

Jessica said...

Oh my that is so scary, I'm glad everything turned out good. Keep us posted, I'm really excited for you. Are you dying to find out what it's going to be?

Erin said...

I'm seriously speechless. I'm so glad that you and the baby are okay. What a scare! It can only get better from here.

Ben and Cortney said...

Oh my goodness, I was so shocked to read your post. I am relieved to hear that you are going to be ok! I can't believe how sick you have been, poor thing. Have you asked your Dr. about zolfran? I took that and it gives me relief on my really bad days (you know when you can't keep down water...). It is not on the label for pregos but the only reason that it isn't is that levels of nausea cannot be proven in testing, but it is safe to take for the baby. Just a thought, us preggers have to stick together.

Kerstin said...

glad u are ok!!! and i refused to enlarge the stomach pics...sick!

T.J., Lindsay, Drew, and Cameron Stevens said...

Good heavens Nelle!!! I'm so glad that the results of this whole fiasco were good. I'm SO glad that you and baby Tingey are doing well. luv luv :)

Giles Fam said...

Oh my gosh, Janelle! I am seriously so sorry! As if you didn't already have enough to worry about with the sickness from your pregnancy! That seriously stinks, but I'm glad you are feeling better, that the baby is ok, and that they were able to save your ovary. And 27 pounds!? That is seriously not fair. Usually the scale goes in the opposite direction. :)

Unknown said...

Holy cow! That is so scary! I am so glad everything is ok now, especially with the baby. I bet you must have been terrified. Hopefully that had something to do with why you were feeling so sick, and maybe now you'll feel better and be able to put on some weight like a normal pregnant woman!! (so we can all stop the jealousy!!) I hope your recovery goes quickly. We will keep you in our prayers. FEEL BETTER!!!